Re: A Variable Question.

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-cox-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ken Stevens by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> I was musing over the cost of a descent variac.
>
> Anything worth while on E-Bay costs a small fortune to ship, and my
> local surplus store wants gold for even a tiny trashed unit.
>
> While I was crying in my milk, I cleaned out some boxes and found my
> stash of 150A Power HexFET's. I have several of these monsters that I
> used as R/C switches in my Battlebots endeavors.
>
> My question is does anyone have plans for or know of them for a FET
> based variable AC power supply? Basically an electronic variac!
>
> With 2 or 3 of these things in parallel you could conceivably create a
> 200A "variac".
>
> Any info on something like this hiding out there??

  Googling for "solid state variac"
returned a page of possibilities,
including (wouldn't you know it):

hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SSVariac%20Replacement.doc

  Looks like somebody here's been there,
done that. OTOH one cite mentions the
concern that it might fail "full on".

  Mark L. Fergerson