Re: Teslas enjoyment of ozone.

Tesla list wrote:

<Dwight.Crider-at-regulusgroup-dot-com>

> I would ask how you differentiate between ozone and the various other
> noxious gases produced by high E fields and arcs.  However, the most
> pungent of these are likely nitrogen/oxygen compounds which result in
> nitric and nitrous acids, to name a couple, when in contact with water.
> None of these are less damaging to human tissue than ozone. If this doesn't
> make you cautious, maybe the fact that most metallic tools will be quickly
> corroded with this type exposure. It would seem that the safest bet would
> be: IF YOU CAN SMELL IT, VENTILATE!  (Commercial ammonium nitrate is made
> via arc processes from air and water)
>
> Dwight Crider

	These discussions remind me of my very early experiences with a TC.
Had to have been before 1943.  Anyhow, I had a small (1" diameter x 10"
long" coil operated with glass plate capacitors and a small NST whose
voltage I had no means of measuring.  It would produce 2 to 3 inch
streamers from a needle on the top.  I used to run it in a small
enclosed sun porch about 6' by 6' by about 15 feet long.  I always
noticed throat irritation after only a few minutes of operation after
what must have been quite a low power.  I finally had a chance to talk
to a Professor of Physics at the University of Missouri (his wife was my
piano teacher) and he told me that the primary problem was with oxides
of nitrogen rather than ozone.  He probably knew as he had at one time
been a consultant for the building of a nitrogen fixation plant which
used the Haber (?) process with high voltage discharges.

Ed

P.S. Doesn't seem to have harmed me in any way except that I still seem
to have fun with TC's!