RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

>Original poster: "brianb by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>

>Gary suggested "short circuit current times faceplate voltage did not exceed
>200VA". If this approach is taken I'd like to see Isec times Vsec.

Agreed.

>Whatever the final number is I like the freedom to consider using any power
>supply including my PT or PIG. This opens it up to everyone while providing
>a common baseline which was the initial intent if I remember correctly.

I'm a bit uncomfortable allowing pigs & PT's.  Please note that contest
name references "Table Top".  No one's going to set a limit on how big a
table is needed, but it does stretch the original intent, which was to
permit only a particular 4/20 NST power supply.  I feel that wider
participation is more important than extremely tight regulations so I
proposed creating a second competition class to accommodate others with
NST's whose secondary VA does not exceed what the 4/20 NST provides.  But I
insist that all entries use NST's, and I'm also uncomfortable throttling
down a larger NST to meet the VA restriction.  Too tempting to nudge the
knob, just to see what happens...

Gary Lau
MA, USA