Re: Teslas enjoyment of ozone.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dwight.Crider-at-regulusgroup-dot-com>

Certainly not to be picky, I am sure there are many environments other than
those associated with Tesla Coils, however the boundaries for this forum
seems to be somewhat limited. The point must have been "Always ventilate!"
Good point.
(Or, if you can smell it you should have ventilated!) AC/DC motors generate
a bit of carbon monoxide, and Lord only knows what is given off by the
various spark gap combinations. Again, however, the most prevalent Tesla
coil air emissions are ozone and nitrogen oxides. And seriously, what is
the percentage of professional coilers on the Pupman list? How often do
they take purified samples? The "ventilate" still goes for the rest of us
amateurs. Cheers-Dwight Crider

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> I would ask how you differentiate between ozone and the various other
> noxious gases produced by high E fields and arcs.

           Professionals, who set the limits, run with purified
           samples.

> However, the most pungent of these are likely nitrogen/oxygen

> compounds which result in nitric and nitrous acids,

           Ozone has a distinct odor.  cf any reference book.
           Also: many Very Toxic gases have no odour.

> to name a couple, when in contact with water.  None of these

> are less damaging to human tissue than ozone. If this doesn't
> make you cautious, maybe the fact that most metallic tools

> will be quickly corroded with this type exposure. It would

> seem that the safest bet would be: IF YOU CAN SMELL IT,

> VENTILATE!

           A useful rule, IF one bears in mind:
                     Many Lethal Gases are odorfree.
                     Some such paralyze the 'sniffer' nerves.

           Waiting to smell something can get someone dead.
           best
           dwp