RE: Building a 4"

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Now I have my questions:

I am designing this to use a 15Kv/60mA neon
transformer. I found a place to get one new
for $150. I'm not sure if this is a good
price for new, me thinks its kind of expensive.
I've called all my local neon shops (about 3)
and they don't have any old ones to give me.

$150.00 for a new one sounds like a good price.  However, if you want
a used one, I can sell you one for $100.00.  The 15kV/60mA NSTs (used)
currently
sell on ebay averaging about $120.00.  They are a hot item.

Does anyone on this list have a better source
for cheaper neons, preferably new ones?

I tried building a few capacitors already, and
most of them are a pain in the butt. (Saltwater,
rolled aluminum flashing, etc...)

I've decided to go MMC. My capacitor research
tells me that metal-polyethylene are the ones to
use. At 15kV/60mA, I figure a .01 ufd will
give me the most bang. I've found a list of
known working MMC capacitors, some of them have
their voltages rated in AC while others are DC.
(I looked up the technical specs of some of them.)
It makes it difficult to figure out how many of
each I'll need because those rated in DC volts
have quite a substantial reduction in the
rating in AC volts. (RMS?)

good pulse caps, they usually have 0.03uF, 35kV Maxwell Capacitors selling
on ebay for about $50-80 each.  Two of those in series will give you the
value you need.

Dan