RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

John F. -

Let the contestant use any rep rate he desires. Now that would be a real TC
challenge. Low rep rates would give more spark only up to a certain point.
When that point is reached the losses would start to be greater than the
input and the spark length would remain the same or start to decrease in
length. This happens often with coilers who add input watts to their coil
but beyond a certain point the spark length remains the same length much to
the chagrin of the coiler.

A contest with these rules means that a coiler would have to build dozens of
coils of different configurations and inputs to find the optimum Tesla coil
that would have the greatest spark length percentage over your equation. My
estimate would be that the winner of this type of contest would have a coil
that has less than 1000 watts input. I base this on spark data from the
List. For example many 1000 watt coils give sparks over 4.5 ft, but there
are no coils under 10 KW input giving sparks over 14.2 ft. Larger coils are
even less spark efficient. Note that pole type transformers have an output
capability of over 10 times their nameplate rating when shorted. This means
that the watt input for a certain random spark length would have to be an
instantaneous type wattage. This type of metering is never done for pole
type or similar transformers.

John Couture