Re: What's the best combonation?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Jpop6943-at-wmconnect-dot-com>

Subj: Re: What's the best combonation?
Date: 10/7/2002 11:39:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla list)
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

In a message dated 10/7/02 1:35:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Say you have a 10KV NST -at- 30 ma and one 6.336 KV -at- 500ma,yes 1/2 amp, andyou
> also have two secondary coils, each four feet long, one 6 inches diameter
> and one 8 inches diameter and both wound with 28 gauge wire, whitch
> transformer/coil combonation would you use to get the longest lightning bolt
> output?
>
> I would appreciate any feedback, comments, opinion.
> Thanks everyone.

Pop,

The 6.336kV, 500ma transformer can produce much longer
sparks from a Tesla coil than the 10kV, 30ma NST.

Using 1.7*sqrt (watts) = spark length (inches), we get
29" sparks for the NST, and about 96" sparks for the
6.336kV, 500ma transformer.  If this transformer is not
current limited, then it could possibly be run at 2 or 3 times
it's rated power for short runs, giving 150" sparks or longer.

At the higher power levels, I'd use a secondary with thicker
wire than #28, and I'd use a somewhat wide diameter secondary.
Actually #28 wire is too thin for a 4 foot long secondary at any
power level unless it's space wound.

John

   That was a quick answer, and thanks a MILLION volts.

Pop