Re: 40w globe lightbulb = safe plasma ball?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mereness-at-mindspring-dot-com>

I looked in the Pupman archives and found this thread.

It seems that if there is sufficient gas in the vessel to create
streamers/corona then the evacuation is insufficient to create hard radiation.
 But if the walls fluoresce, X-Rays may be being produced.  Perhaps there is a
threshold torr that may allow both situations to occur.

But this is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Jamie

-Shooting arcs in Tesla's old neighborhood; the Lower East Side of New York
City.-

Jeff,
Many modern light bulbs do not have a high vacuum, but instead
a medium vacuum and a small amount of gas such as argon.

If you can see corona coming off of the filament inside the
bulb, then you have a bulb with gas. These are quite safe
and produce no measureable x-rays.

Almost ALL older light bulbs were made with a HIGH vaccum,
which explains Jeff's "antique bulb" giving off x-rays.

Some of the smaller SIZE lighbulbs still use a high vacuum.
Just last year I was producing x-rays with a 30 watt bulb.
It is easy to distinguish when a bulb has a high vacuum.
When you attach them to a source of HV they fluoresce
green, blue, or white along the walls of the tube. If you
see corona inside the tube, then there is no fluoresence
and no x-rays.

Things that I personally KNOW give off x-rays:
X-RAY tubes
Crookes tubes (and other types as found in science labs)
SOME Geissler tubes (walls fluoresce)
Older style light bulbs (almost all)
New light bulbs of small size/wattage (Large ones don't)
Radio tubes (Not all, but about 50% of the types *do*)
Cathode ray tubes / Oscilloscope tubes / TV screen /
Computer monitor screen

ANY higly evacuated vessel is a candidate for x-ray
production:

Dewar flasks
Thermos bottles

Bottom line: if it fluoresces, it most likely can produce
x-rays. The exception to this rule is the fluorescent
light bulb. These contain mercury vapor that when excited
gives off UV light that in turn excites the fluorescent
material coating the tube. They do not produce x-rays.

If a light bulb is being run on a Tesla Coil such that
the filament is giving off incandescent light, this is OK.
No x-rays. If the filament has corona coming off of it,
this, too, is OK. No x-rays. If you see the GLASS walls
fluorescing, the danger of x-rays is quite real.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee