Re: Building a 4"

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Check this one out:))
>
> http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll
ViewItem&item=1774441199

Wow, that's certainly a beast.
Only 2 kilowatts of power though.
For a $1000, I want to plug it in and
have all the breakers in my house flip. :)

> >Anyway, the coil I am building is a typical 4.5"
> >secondary. I have completed the primary (16 turns
> .25"
> >copper fridge tube .25" apart, 30 degree inverse
> cone)
> >- so far so good.
>
> Neat!

Well, it sorta looked like crap, so i ripped out all
the copper wire and laid a new primary, from the
inside out. This time winding the copper around the
4.5" PVC pipe before setting in the primary's track.
Makes the first few tight turns alot nicer, and a lot
less 'square' looking.

> I paid about $120 for a new one plus $30 to have it
> shipped a few years
> ago.  Ebay has them sometimes but shipping is pretty
> rough for something so
> heavy.  People do find them free or they "fix" old
> ones but for the money
> and all, $150 for a new NST in hand is not too
> terrible.  If you want to
> search and scrounge for hours on end you can
> probably find one far cheaper.
>  a lot depends on if it is worth it to "you" or not
> ;-)

I've got a couple shops looking into it for now.
Failing that, the one I'm thinking of getting
is from www.justneon-dot-com

> >I've decided to go MMC. My capacitor research
> >tells me that metal-polyethylene are the ones to
> >use.
>
> No!  You want metal foil electrode "polypropylene"
> high-voltage

Yeah that's what I meant. :)

Those Maxwell pulse capacitors on eBay, are they any
good? I realize that they're one unit and if they
blow, well that's that... but Maxwell's are supposed
to pretty good right? (as long as you don't put 100Kv
into a 35Kv rated one of course.)

> A 15 amp input fuse too.  Then, the chances of
> blowing an NST are pretty
> near zero...  If you have a sync rotary gap, you can
> go to 28nF (0.001uF =
> 1nF).

I'm building a power resistor-capacitor-MOV-safty gap
NST protection circuit. (Any guesses to a PFC for a
15KV/60mA?) I'm going to make a variation of the RQ
spark gap and SRSG with a 3600 or 1800 rpm sync motor,
with a variac to control it's speed. I will experiment
with both to see which one works best, perhaps put the
rotary in my next BIGGER coil :)

I'm having a little trouble with the motor -- I think
i need a 1-phase sync motor with motor start
capacitor. I have no idea what size run capacitor
for any given horse power...does anyone here know?

I see a few 1/4 HP 1 phase motors on eBay, usually
for pumps and stuff. I think Dayon and GE makes them
do those work?