Re: Many questions

Hi,

At 01:06 AM 10/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> I m a new coiler and have done a great deal of research to design the coil I
> m currently implementing.  I ll give all the specs and then ask the
> questions.  (please keep in mind the only part actually built is the primary,
> the rest can possibly be changed by recommendation) The coil transformer is a
> 15kV 450VA 30mA 60hz output neon light transformer. The capacitor is a 25kV
> .3uF box capacitor I bought off ebay.

The cap size is too big.  For your static gap, you want 0.008uf.  See the chart
at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

I don't think your NST will even begin to charge such a large cap.  Sorry bout
that...

> The primary is 7 diameter 6 gauge copper wire wound in a helix with 4.17
> turns and approx 1.2 space between windings.  The secondary is 21AWG enameled
> magnet wire 1395ft wound on a 4.25 diameter pvc pipe 39 tall.  It is tuned to
> approximately 177kHz. The top load is a 30 x6.25 toroid.  The spark gap is a
> collection of 10-½ copper pipes (1.5 in length) screwed to a piece of
> plexiglass with around .025 gap between each and a fan blown over the top.  I
> got all these calculations by playing with the TC java tesla designer.
> However I m not sure if this is going to work correctly.  The low amount of
> turns on the primary seems odd to me (I know if I use the recommended .066uF
> capacitor (by another java designer) it says to wind 18 turns).

The Java designer works well.  Now you say 0.066uF for the cap so I am not sure
what cap you have there.  However, it sounds like you have done things pretty
well.

> Questions:
>

> Do you feel this should work?

Sounds good as long as the primary coil and cap size get figured out.

> What wire should I use to connect it all together and what type of
> connectors? I bought high voltage wire but it doesn t handle much current.

The wire from the NSTs can be thin high voltage wire.  The cap/gap/primary coil
circuit has hundreds of amps in it so try to use really "big" wire for those
connections.

> Is the spark gap appropriate?

Sounds fine.  I don't think you need all the gaps but you can easily select as
many as you need.

> What type of safety gap should I use?

Something like this:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/protection.jpg

> How can I discharge the capacitor so I can work on the coil safely? I think
> shorting it would damage it. What can I use for a resistor to discharge it
> more slowly?

A bunch of like 1 or 10 Meg little resistors in a string hooked across it will
do the job.  You are right that directly shorting the cap is not good for it.

> How and where should I ground it?

To the nearest ground point.  Maybe drive a stake in the ground or something.

> Should I put a piece of Styrofoam in the inner part of the toroid and cover
> it with aluminum tape?

As long as the toroid has electrical contact to the top of the coil, the inside
of it does not matter much.

> How should I connect the toroid to the top of the coil and should I leave
> some blank pvc before the toroid?

Just any old piece of wire.  Best to space it up some.

> What do you recommend I use to coat the secondary?

polyurethane is very popular.  Shipping wrap is fast and easy.  Lots of options
there...

> If you could change something on this coil, what would you change?

Sounds fine right now.  You just need to work out some details and it should
work fine.

Cheers,

        Terry