Re: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

> How long do you think it would take to charge up a cap with a 4/20
> transformer to produce an 18 ft spark? Would you call this continuous
spark
> operation? Don't forget the losses at the very high voltages that are
> unavoidable for producing an 18 ft spark.

Well, Thor processes about 11KW of real power to chuck an 18 foot spark, so
for a 1 second burst we need at least 11kJ stored, using a cockroft walton
multiplier and assuming a charging efficiency of 80% then it would take
about 3 minutes to charge up.  I suspect 'ion cloud' effects mean you would
need more like 5 seconds to reach out to the full 18 feet, but that is
simply a question of bigger cap banks and longer charging times.

> Continuous spark  operation normally implies when using a NST that it
would
> be 100 or 120 sparks per second depending on the input frequency. In other

I deliberately said a 'continuous appearance', ie. a spark that, to the
naked eye, appears continuous.  The frame rate needed in video for a
continuous appearance is 25fps, so I guess that's as good a starting point
as any.

> words a spark for every bang. It is obvious that this hardly ever, if
ever,
> happens as evidenced by the typical eratic spark output. I have never
heard
> of any coiler who was able to match each spark output with a particular
watt
> sec input except for one shot or similar operation. This is a problem with
> Tesla coil operation because spark outputs are not a very reasonable
method
> for rating a TC.

Unreasonable as it may be I think most coilers would agree its the only one
that matters!

> Charging up a cap for a single spark would not qualify for a  continuous
> spark output. The continuous spark output should also have to occur during
> the input time. Before building anything of a questionable nature it would
> be wise to find out from the contest director if it is acceptable for the
> contest. To build something oddball would be risky especially if it
doesn't
> meet the input/output conditions. However, you could still enter the 18
> footer TC for the novelty prize.

I was using that as an example to illustrate the lunacy that could go on if
there were no qualification on duty cycle or pulse rate.  My suggestion was
actually based on the idea of burst mode operation, a large reservoir cap
charged up to a high DC potential and then dumped into the tank circuit
through a charging reactor over the space of maybe 100-200 breaks of the
spark gap.

Safe Coiling,
Nick
_______________
Nick Field, HVFX
www.hvfx.co.uk

> I believe that a controlled (continuous and horizontal) spark from the
> secondary terminal to a ground point does pin down the output enough for a
> contest. It should be noted that the continuous type of spark output is
much
> shorter than the typical random spark using the same input. The bps are
> normally very high with this type of operation. The TC Input could also be
> pinned down by specifying a certain VA amount at 50 or 60 cycles per
second.

> For example, I believe that most coilers would agree that a coiler with
only
> a 100 VA input at 50 or 60 Hz (or 4/20 NST) who built any kind of TC and
> obtained a controlled 5 ft spark output for 5 minutes would be the winner.
> This may be impossible but the winner could be the coiler who comes
closest
> to the 5 ft for 5 minutes.
>
> John Couture

Leyh,
> who has more than his fair share of coiling trophies already!).
>
> For those interested in the ultra low duty cycle end of things I think
Dale