Re: Faraday cage

> I'm missing the point. ( To ground or not to ground, that is the question)
> If the coil ground is bonded to the cage,

	Inside or outside?
	(reminder appplies to 'proper Faraday cages only':
	no gaps longer than, say, 1/10 wave, leads filtered.)

> reradiation from the ground point(s) to the farthest parts of the

> cage would likely be minimized but not totally contained.

	If the cage be a good conductor, it is (essentially)
	completely contained.
	Adding an external ground wire can only improve radiation
	as currents (unbalanced) flow on the 'ground' wire.

> (Major impedance mismatch)  If the coil is floating inside the cage,

>  the capacitive effects would likely result in reradiation.

	All the currents stay on one face of the cage...
	(inner....)

> This would be a good project to quantify as to effects, frequencies,

> etc. with a spectrum analyzer.  I have an old HP 7603/7L13 that

> still works up to 1.8G,

	Giggle.  I Know it Well.

> but I am not inclined to construct a Faraday cage. I am in the
> Birmingham, AL area and would love to check this out with anyone

> having a cage. I recall during my intermod investigative days

> that a fully enclosed(and grounded) and terminated 150w base

> station provided a significant amount of external radiation.

	Would need investigation of the cage to quantify.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge