RE: Are these maxwell caps OK?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in buying Dan's maxwell caps. The specs can be found
> at:
>
> http://www.alltronics-dot-com/download/20P005.pdf
>
> I'm worried about the maximum voltage reversal of only 50%. Are these
> caps OK for tesla coil use? Other than that, they look pretty good
> with their 25kA max current rating.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Greg.

Greg,

I bought two of these last year.  I am also concerned about the voltage
rating.  I have not used them but when I do, it will be with two in series
with
a 14 or 15 kv power supply.  If anyone has used these I would be interested
in
the details - especially if any have failed.

(for .24uF -at- 35kVDC total) with a
tesla coil powered by two 15kVA pole transformers in parallel although his
maximum output power is running about 15kVA to 20kVA and has had no failures
yet with about two years of run time.  The only protection he uses is a
spark gap across the cap network.

Ed Wingate, I am told, also uses the same type of spark gap protection on
his Maxwell capacitors.

Dan