Re: Variacs and current draw

Jim,

Not all variacs are the same.  The old superior electric company
(powerstat) variacs are robust.  I've run 20 amps through a 7.5A
variac for short runs with these.  I wouldn't try that with a newer
7.5A variac.  The newer 7.5A variacs, have a wire diameter equal
to the old 5A variacs.  In other words, a newer 7.5A variac may
be only as robust as an older 5A variac.  I've seen a newer 10A
variac which used the same wire diameter as an older 7.5A
variac, etc.

John