RE: MOT supply construction question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Quick connect terminals are very reliable and are widely used in industry.
But, they have to be used properly.
1) They don't work well for solid wire.
2) The terminal size must be matched to the wire size.  If the wire is too
small for the terminal size, the crimp will be unreliable.  The
red/blue/yellow insulators indicate the appropriate wire sizes.
3) A good crimping tool is vital!  Those yellow handle jobs with the
built-in bolt cutters are inexpensive, and you get what you pay for.  I
suppose they can be made to work, but it's very tricky to position the
crimp properly on the terminal.
4) I've had mixed results with soldering wires to quick connect terminals.
The terminal barrels are often treated with something that resists
soldering, and I've taken to drilling out the interior of the barrel to
expose fresh brass when using solid wire or feel the need for an
extra-sturdy connection.

Hope this helps,
Gary Lau
MA, USA