Re: geiger counters - which do xray detection?

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Hi Larry,

All geiger counters that use Geiger Muler(not sure on spelling) tubes will
detect Xrays. An electroscope type dosimeter will also detect Xrays.

There may be certain scintillator probes out there that may not detect
Xrays, but I really don't have any experience with scintillator probes,
which are much more expensive, and more speciallized to different energy
levels of radiation. I have only used GM probes. Sorry  if this is a repeat
because I haven't been following this thread, but stay away from ionization
chamber devices like the CDV 715. They will only register activity if you
are standing in the core of a nuclear reactor, or if you are unlucky enough
to have an atomic bomb go off a block away from you.

Look for those CDV 700s, that occasionally show up on ebay.

Good luck,
Sue