RE: MOT supply construction question

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Righto Ted on stabilizing the point at which the inner secondary lead exits
the winding. I neglected mentioning this. I first lengthened the lead by
soldering a suitable piece of stranded wire. I then improved the mechanical
structure by using about 3" heat shrink tubing. Then, hot glue was applied
at the point of exit, as per Ted's description. A portion of the heat shrink
tubing is entrapped by the glue, adding to mechanical strength.

I reiterate that I think a thorough cleaning can't hurt. All it would it
take is a filament of steel wool or fragment of conductive material of some
type to encourage a fatal arc.

I would not worry about firmly seated quick connects. I cannot envision a
mechanism in which oil would compromise such a connection.  I did not use
them, but only because directly soldering to the MOT tabs was more expedient
for my design.

Dave H

Subject: RE: MOT supply construction question

I wonder how well
> medical grade mineral oil works?
No experience on this point (but suspect should be OK) but re taking wires
out of the MOT. I use a few strategically placed dobs of hot glue to
stabilise the point where the HV wire comes out of the MOT before I
terminate it on a lug.
Not soldering my quick connects either, no failures but I'm getting worried
reading recent posts
Best
Ted Linney in NZ