Re: The science behind streamer sounds

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Brett,

The sounds made by sparks, streamers, and thunder are all related. All
are a result of sudden superheating of gas inside the spark channel. The
  expanding spark channel creates a cylindrical shock wave which then
rapidly converts into a normal impulsive sound wave (bang!). The amount
of sound energy generated is a function of the amount of energy being
dissipated in the discharge and the length of the discharge - more
energy going into a discharge means a louder "crack". The sound can
range from a barely audible click from a static electricity discharge,
the deafening crack of a HV capacitor discharge, the repetitive snapping
sounds of air streamers from a Tesla Coil, the louder (more energetic)
bangs of streamers that reach ground, to the defining report of a nearby
lightning strike. Large Tesla Coils can easily generate streamer noise
sufficient to damage your hearing.

There's is actually some debate about the exact mechanisms that create
the shock wave associated with sparks. It is NOT the collapse of the
superheated spark channel (as once was thought for lightning), but is
more likely the extremely rapid formation of a high current channel that
causes the initial shock wave.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>