Re: The science behind streamer sounds

Original poster: "Charles Brush by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

<snip>
>  Large Tesla Coils can easily generate streamer noise
>sufficient to damage your hearing.
<snip>
>-- Bert --
>--
>Bert Hickman
>Stoneridge Engineering
>"Electromagically" (TM) Shrunken Coins!
>http://www.teslamania-dot-com

I can attest to this as well.  After experiencing ringing ears once I
now wear those big shooting ear protectors when doing a lot of work
with my larger coil.  One interesting thing I've noticed is that dogs
all over the area start barking when I run the coil.  It's a little
strange since the barn is in the woods, a good quarter-plus mile away
from the nearest dog, and they don't seem to mind other sounds such
as circular saws, chain saws, etc.  No doubt there is a very strong
ultrasonic component to a Tesla coil streamer, but I wouldn't expect
that to travel very far at all.  Perhaps it's just because the coil
sounds a little "different" than other devices.   It sure gets them
all barking though!

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.VoltNet-dot-com