Re: A coil's temperment

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have seen my coil perform under a few conditions now.  Just recently (last
night) i ran under the conditions that i would expect at the Dells
Teslathon.  It was freezing cold, and the coil performed amazingly!  The
only problem was a few racing sparks that tuning did not take care of.  My
guess was that since it was warm in the garage where it is kept, that
condensate formed on the coil.  It didnt appear to be a very bad problem,
since it only happened every 20 seconds or so and never happened on not so
cold nights.  Interesting problem ive been having is that the streamers tend
to arc to the most strange places.  My coil is set up on a 2 level base.
The tran, cap, PFC, and gaps on the bottom, and pri/sec on the top.  The
base is 24" diameter x 16"tall and the toroid is 26" diamter and secondary
26" tall.  Oddly enough, many times the arcs will travel beyond my strike
rail, to almost hit ground(It does hit ground lots though ;) but make a turn
and hit my transformers, gap, caps, PFC caps, dimmer switch even!  Luckily
it doesnt seem to do much damage.  Its quite strange because the arc is only
about 7" away from ground when this happens.  And it needs to travel about
10 to turn at hit something downstairs.  Does anyone else have this problem,
or know how to solve it reasonably.  Thanks guys, and sorry to make another
story out of the original post...

Steve Ward.