potential limiting inductors

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

All,
 While at my favourite "doo-dads-are-us" store I found that they have
traded hands.
I was looking around and came across some large welders, one looked like
it was opened up for some reason and low and behold it looks like it
controlled current by switching inductors? It must have six high current
inductors inside that look like they could make some nice pig current
limits, I didn't look real close (it was cold and no coat), but i think
they could be shimmed.
There are also a matched pair of 600 amp welders that look like they
move a cone shaped core into the windings?
If anyone is interested in further investigation i will scope out the
possibilities further for tc use.
Marc M.