Transistor tesla coil

Original poster: "Craig Fuller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Coilers,

Has anyone tried using a bipolar transistor (Darlington array, not FET) to
make a small or medium air-core tesla coil?  I have done the flyback thing,
and I just ordered some big 1000V, 75A Darlington transistors (Toshiba)in
hopes of replacing my 2811A (65W dissipation for each tube) vacuum tubes.
This would be a big improvement since it would be self-tuning, no filament
tranny, and more power.  I have heard that Darlington arrays have a
different phase shift than a single transistor, but I'm not sure why other
people have said that Darling's are better, other than because of much
higher gain.

Any advice/ideas?
Craig

_