Re: rectifier stack experts?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

>Greetings,
>
>Is anybody on this list mega-wise when it comes to designing a compensated
>rectifier stack? I had an amusing failure with 34 out of 40 rectifiers
>shorting out in my last "50kV per leg" bridge rectifier.

snipperz...

>I wish to rectify 15kV at 60Hz at a few hundred mA for now, but want it to
>handle several amps at the same voltage in the future.
>
>KEN

Hi Ken...

rectifying  15KV is easy in the low amp rating  ( < 1A)  but handling
several amps at 15KV is a whole new story ( 105KVA ...  wish I had that
much power to the shop)

you will need 100 diodes (1000V 1A )...   25 per side ( 4 sides) for
full wave...  this is how they rectify some X-Ray machines...

series 25 per side and configure as a full wave ...     this will handle
the load and voltage up to .95 A -at- 15KV...  but hey   thats still 14KVA

Scot D