RE: Testing your Coil, sans coils.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Ken:

I've done exactly what you seek to do.

It is a very bad idea to run your coil with no secondary in place.  The
energy that would normally go into sparks will _mostly_ be burnt up in the
gap, but an unhealthy amount will also go into heating up the tank
capacitor, many times more stress than normal operation.

You didn't say what your power supply is.  Mine is a 15/60 NST.  I replaced
my primary coil with three series-connected 500 Watt halogen floodlight
bulbs.  These are quartz tubes, about 4" long, so they have a good high
voltage standoff.  The energy that would normally be sent to the primary
will be harmlessly burnt off as heat and light.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA