Re: reading high voltage

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <BillEaver-at-aol-dot-com>

Colin: This is what I did. All Electronics, (In Calif.) has a big box of
mixed
resistors that you can buy in a bunch for $1 (as much as you can stuff in
a plastic bag that THEY give you) ( I take about 5 minutes for stuffing)
these
resistors range from high quality +/- 1% to junky throw out's. I took a bunch
of 4,000K 1/2 watt jobbers out of the pile and tested all of them. Most were
very
close. I made a big string and kept adding two until the temp was well below
the working range for a single resistor (75% duty) I used a small fish
thermometer. Then I hot melted these on a "S" pattern on a phenolic board.
I soldered two quick disconnect pins to the single center resistor. This made
a very nice voltage divider. My voltage I was checking was 15K. To accomplish
this I hung my digital multimeter from two pieces of fishing line, turned on
the
VOM and then energized the circuit. I looked from afar and it worked very
well.
Just remember to divide from how many resistors you use. I don't like to
trust
any voltage higher than 50 volts unless it's in a metal box! Hope this helps.

Denis Despins
KC6TRW