Re: Vacuum tubes (and Cheesehead Teslathon)

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi John,

I agree with you - the Cheesehead Teslathon was really GREAT! Thanks, to
D.C. Cox for hosting the first of what, hopefully, will become a
tradition... hopefully in September when it's a bit warmer... :^)
There were well over 50 coilers and their spouses in attendance. Lots of
Tesla coils, a rail gun (with a successful first full power firing), and
even a machine that fused sand into fulgurites using high current high
voltage.

John, the tube that came out of the welder was most likely a thyratron
(the vacuum tube equivalent of modern day SCR's or thyristors).
Thyratrons are gas filled "triodes" that are designed to control AC
power going to a timed/pulsed welder. Various gases are used in
thyratrons, including hydrogen/deuterium, xenon, or mercury vapor. The
type of thyratrons you saw were most likely slow, high current mercury
vapor thyratrons, used to control AC power into the welder.

Larger welding systems used higher power tubes called ignitrons.
Ignitrons use a pool of mercury as the cathode, a massive graphite
anode, and a dense mercury vapor arc discharge (triggered by a high
current pulse into an igniter electrode) to control large amounts of
power. They were also used as high current rectifiers for high current
DC welders. Unfortunately, neither type of tube is useful in modern day
Tesla Coiling.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>