Re: rectifier stack experts?

Original poster: "Craig Fuller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ken,

While reading a power supply design book some time ago, I learned that you
can rectify the voltage using peak-to-peak values, with some percentage of
over rating.  That's 15kV times 1.414 = 21,213V times 1.1 for 10% safety
margin (you should probably go higher than 10%).  Now here's the part that
most overlook.  If you are connecting this to a capacitor, you need to
multiply this number by 2 AGAIN because once the cap is fully charged, the
peak voltage will tend to ADD to the cap voltage (i.e. 21,213 times 2, or
42,426 volts!)  This makes sense when you think about it.