Re: rectifier stack experts?

Original poster: "Craig Fuller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Jim,

I am not trying to be confrontational, but I don't think your statement is
correct.  Maybe you can clarify what you mean, in case I misunderstood you.

The way I see it, if you draw out a full bridge, each diode in the bridge
being rated accordingly for 1 volt (with a small margin for error, so say
1.1 volts) and create a scenario where the cap is fully charged to 1 volt,
and the AC signal is at a peak value (which is also +1 and -1, or vise
versa) each diode potentially sees +2 or -2 volts as a maximum, and
breakdown will occur.  The only place where you are protected by 2 diodes in
series, is across the capacitor terminals, which also appears at the + and -
terminals of the bridge.  This is not where the problem occurs.  The problem
occurs between a polarized terminal and a non-polarized terminal of the
bridge.  Am I making any sense, or do I have this all wrong?

Craig