Re: rectifier stack experts?

On 22 Oct 2002, at 18:44, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Craig Fuller by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbfull-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Jim,
>
> I am not trying to be confrontational, but I don't think your statement is
> correct.  Maybe you can clarify what you mean, in case I misunderstood you.
>
> The way I see it, if you draw out a full bridge, each diode in the bridge
> being rated accordingly for 1 volt (with a small margin for error, so say
> 1.1 volts) and create a scenario where the cap is fully charged to 1 volt,
> and the AC signal is at a peak value (which is also +1 and -1, or vise
> versa) each diode potentially sees +2 or -2 volts as a maximum, and
> breakdown will occur.

What do you mean by "potentially"? Consider one half cycle and
replace each conducting diode by a piece of wire in your diagram.
What you actually get is two reverse-biased diodes in parallel across
the transformer/capacitor which are also essentially in parallel. In
a f.w. bridge configuration, Vtransformer and Vcapacitor never appear
added in series across anything. Very different from centre-tapped
f.w. or voltage-doubling half wave configurations I might add.

Regards,
Malcolm

  The only place where you are protected by 2 diodes in