Re: Capacitors

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

John Richardson- all

I like the idea of an adjustable cap. And others like it to.
There have been a lot of attempts. I think it was the Geek’s (geek group)
that had the idea of a bucket cap with bottle caps in side and a changeable
water level.

I like your idea it sounds doable. But I think your problem is not
dielectric strength, a good transformer oil or mineral oil will do. It’s the
cap surface area that will be a bitch to figure. If you think of the amount
of surface area in a good-sized bottle cap or a large rolled (polyethylene
and aluminum sheet) cap, it is a lot. Just to get up to the capacitance of a
small Geek MMC, homemade’s get big.

But I think if you were to design a cap like the ones used to tune radios
the kind you mentioned. Make it BIG and put it under oil it would work cool.

Ambition is not a bad thing

Read you later
Josh

http://resourcecenter.msn-dot-com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp