Re: NST Rework?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Nolan Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<moonol05-at-email.pct.edu>

> Hi all,
>
>     I was thinking about taking a 7500V -at- 60ma franceformer that I have and
> doing a little rework on it.  The transformer is already depotted and clean.
> What I was thinking about doing is removing 1/2 of the primary windings to
> produce 15kv -at- 60ma.  Is this a good idea to do and will it work? Will there
> any problems if not or if only minor ones, I think I may go for it. Thanks!
>
> Sincerely,
> Nolan Moore

Two possibilities:

1. All of the smoke will come out and it will quit working.

2. The power line breakers or fuses will blow.

	You can't beat the problem of core saturation, which for a given core
area and frequency means that there is a MINIMUM value for the turns per
volt which you can use.  Most transformers will stand 10% overvoltage
without much extra core loss and heating, but above that you're on your
own.

Don't bother!

Ed