RE: Sig gen and o-scopes

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I bought a couple of built-like-a-tank Tectronics RM15 vacuum tube scopes
from an Army surplus store for 50 clams each, excellent condition. The
beauty of tube scopes  like this is that they can take direct stikes from a
coil and yawn--well, you know what I mean!

Dave H

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi,

I recently watched TCBOR's Tesla Instrumentation video, and a signal
generator
and o-scope seem like they would be good additions.  My question is this-how
many of you guys use them to find the resonant frequency of your coils, and
what should one look for in these units?  A quick e-bay search told me that
could hook up with both for about 80 bucks.  In fact, the older units look a
lot simpler to operate than some of the more recent machines.  Should age
scare
me if the units are in good working order?  Also, would I be limited as to
the
availability of a high voltage probe for an old tube style scope?  I don't
think that I would need anything fancy to find frequency, but maybe it's not
important enough to warrant the money.

Thanks,

John Richardson