RE: Balancing an RSG rotor

Original poster: "Rothman, Aric by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Aric.Rothman-at-Honeywell-dot-com>

Thank you for all the replies on the rotor balancing issue.  I completed
construction of the mechanical parts of my SRSG
and assembled them last night.  I powered it up (while standing around a
corner, with extension cord in hand, in case it
decided to shed an electrode or two).  Surprisingly, the thing hardly
vibrates at all now.  I think secure mounting and
lots of mass rigidly attached to the motor makes the difference.  The motor
had been clamped to a portable workbench
when I observed the vibration mentioned earlier.

The entire RSG is housed in a four-sided box of 3/4" birch plywood.  Lexan
will cover the two remaining sizes.  The
wooden sides are perpendicular to the plane of the rotor.  The motor is
mounted on a pedestal of glued layers of 3/4"
MDF, which I understand has vibration deadening properties.  Everything is
held together with tee-nuts and 1/4" hex head
bolts.

Unfortunately, rain and snow is forecast for the rest of the week :(

Aric