Bleed Resistor for Homemade/Large Caps EXPERIMENTS

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Continuing this...

I soldered together a string of 15 10M ohm
1/2 watt resistors and connected them
across the leads of the capacitor.

I then connected the leads of the capacitor
to my 15kV NST and charged it up.

The capacitor is two 35kV Maxwell pulse caps
in series so I'm sure they can take the abuse
of a direct NST connection.
(cap value is larger than resonant so i doubt
there will be over-voltage issues...)

I charged and discharged the capacitor without
any lethal residual charge, none of the resistors
exploded and all remained cool to the touch.

I fear I might have damaged the NST though --
not sure on this one. The secondary winding
resistance is still about 6.3K, with 3.15K on
either side of ground...I believe the secondary
windings are okay. The resistance of the primary
is only about 1/2 an ohm! I'm not sure if this
is right for a properly working 15kV NST...someone
want to verify? (How could the primary windings
get killed anyway?)

I decided to use my resistor array to try and measure
the output voltage. With 15 resistors of all the same
value and 15Kv, the voltage across each should be
1000V. attaching the meter across the a resistor, the
maximum voltage I was able to read was 600VAC

Am I missing something, or does this meant that
maximum output is now only 9000VAC ?

Other than that, the NST still throws a mean power arc
about an 3/4" or so between the two hot secondary
leads. ... it might just be fine after all.

It "sounds" as good as it ever did, but measurments
just dont add up.