RE: New 4" Coil: MMC blows MMC Away??

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

John,
Yes, that is logical, and my observations are hardly scientific.

These CP caps were made specifically for Tesla duty, and at one time were
the Ne Ultra Plus for this application, so I doubt they used Mylar. I hope
not!

One other data point. At the time I received the CP 0.05 ufd caps, I was
running a 6" system with a bank of HDPE salt water caps: 8 in parallel for
0.025 ufd--massive. This system only performed slightly better with the CP
caps. They were in the series Equidrive config, for 0.025 ufd total.

I do note from Richard Hull's work that caps in Equidrive service must be
closely matched, at least that is his claim. Perhaps that was and is a
problem.  Also, I cannot claim optimum gap performance, though this blast
unit I'm using is clearly superior to an RQ gap, even at low power-- <1 kW.
Dave

Dave,

I seriously doubt that any MMC will outperform a quality
commercial capacitor from a spark length point of view,
for equal capacitor values.  There's no reason that it could
or should.

Of course if the commercial cap has a Mylar dielectric,
then it will perform very poorly, but it also couldn't be
considered to be a quality cap for Tesla work.

John