Re: Anyone use MMC's with their pole transformers???????????

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/2/02 11:35:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Dan,
>
> You're likely to encounter much irritation then, because the
> term "pole pig" or just "pig" is very common on the list.  I happen
> to like the term BTW.  It's all part of the fun.  One
> can say they "roasted their pig", or that their "pig weighs
> 240 lbs", or that their "pig is strong", etc.  Any non-Tesla
> folks who heard this would think the pig in question was the type that
> gets sliced into hams and porkchops   :)
>
> John

John, Dan, all,

Yep, I'm with you John, I like the "pole pig" term myself.
I seem to recall reading some of Richard Hull's writings
that stated that the "Pole mounted distribution transformer"
inherited the name "pole pig" from the scrap yard workers
that had to handle these discarded transformers. Being
old and worn out, they often leaked out some of the im-
pregnant oil which rendered the outer surface of the tank
oily, nasty and slippery ;-P Therefore, handling these
heavy, slippery items became compared to wrestling a
"greased pig" and thus the term "pole pig'" kind of stuck :-)
Besides, "pole pig" is a lot easier to say than "pole mount-
ed distribution transformer" :-)

Sparkin' in Memphis (with a pole pig)
David Rieben