RE: OLTC update - primary IGBT loss

Hi Gary,

There are two factors at work here.

First, I am trying to make the thing really efficient so I am fretting
about power losses.  I suppose I could just dump a whole lot more power
into it but then the over all efficiency might be "only" as good as a
typical coil. ;-)

Second, the voltage gain is really high  SQRT (0.492/404e-9) = 1103!!  The
gain of my big coil is only SQRT(0.075/132e-6) = 24.  Max voltage for each is:

1103 * 560 = 617680
24 * 21000 = 504000

That seems about right from that point of view...

It may be that I was trying way to hard for voltage gain and I over did it
at the expense of current to drive the streamer.  I may have way too high
of output impedance.  I am studying all this now so I don't have the answer
yet.  However, I suspect going to a much larger toroid and pulling turns
off the secondary (low voltage and higher current) would be a good thing
(but taking wire off is a whole lot easier than trying to put it back on
;-)).  The Q's are sort of low, but they alone should not be a critical
problem.  If the output impedance is way off, that is a big problem that
only amplifies the Q losses.  We don't normally worry much about this stuff
because it is messy and we just hope it's ok.  I seem to have found a case
where it is all very important!

Much to ponder...

Cheers,

	Terry