Re: Small HV Insulators was Re: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

>   Well, I mentioned I'm trying to see
>how small a Magnifier can be made, with
>"good" performance (-at- not quite 100W).
>I've been having all sorts of fun
>turning insulators out of various
>plastics on a Dremel and like that,
>hoping I don't have to try _glass_. Also
>hoping something better than Plumber's
>Goop exists for non-symmetrical shapes
>(it droops a bit). No joy AFAICT.

Teflon is always popular... not too expensive in small chunks and fairly
easy to machine.  UHMW polyethylene is another possibility.  Glass is truly
horrid for RF.  You're much better off with one of the machinable ceramics,
for instance.  You can get the stuff unfired, but fairly solid, machine it,
and take it to one of the numerous "paint your own pottery" places to get
it fired for a few bucks.