Re: Newbie with a Car Coil

Original poster: "James Prior by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <james.prior-at-metrognome.demon.co.uk>

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for the info. (Its your site I got the design from I
think).
I've gone to a 5A fuse as suggested.

I know this is dead basic stuff for you experts, but thought I'd
include my own entry in the Pupman archives for any other UK
newbie thinking of using a 240VAC dimmer + 12v car coil setup.

I've been running my (UK voltage) car coil jacobs ladder setup for a
bit longer tonight, and the car coil got nice-n-warm, not hot after
several short sessions of about 2-3 mins each, but after the longest
session of about 4-5 minutes I thought "whats that smell?", and
noticed the casing on my dimmer switch was looking positively
droopy!!

I thought it was supposed to be rated at 700w but on closer
inspection discovered its only a 400w dimmer. Maybe this
contirbuted to the 3A fuse blowing?  So I'll upgrade my dimmer to a
meatier one with a decent heatsink on the triac I think. In the
meantime I've cut away some of the melted plastic surround from
the dimmers components to allow better air circulation.

Onwards now - to start the tank circuit and coils.

Cheers
Jim