Re: lower limit to break rate

Jimmy,

My more complicated formula gives a range of break rates,
(120 to 450) or something similar.  I'm not sure how well the
formula will work outside those limits.  I did an experiment
one time and ran at 60 bps, and the results were almost
as good as at 120 bps for the same power input.  But the
problem is that as the bps goes down, it may get harder
to keep the sparks coalesced into just one or a few streamers.
The very low breakrates tends to produce a lot of very short
streamers (the so-called "gas-burner" effect).  I also tried
30 bps, and the sparks were not able to coalesce.  I got
only the short numerous gas burner effect sparks.  I think
low break rates require very smooth toroids, and generally
larger toroids since the bang size tends to be larger, at least
if good power throughput is desired.

As far as low breakrates being better.  I did find that to be
the case, but I'd like to see confirmation from others too.

Well it's always good to experiment...

John