Re: moderate sized TC

HI Jim,

On 5 Sep 2002, at 21:28, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Indeed, the numbers run ok, but I've just never seen big, high performance
> TCs with so few turns on the primary (OLTC excepted, of course...), so I
> wonder if there is some subtle side effect (field distributions, coupling,
> etc.).  Maybe there is a loss/Q issue here, because with low voltages,
> currents will be high and IR losses will get bigger.

I have a similar coil that can produce 5'+ discharges with about the
a bit less Ep, breakrate varying between 100 and 200, and four turns
on the primary. Again, the number of turns really isn't the issue. A
really good secondary can actually make up some lost ground for a
really bad primary.

Regards,
malcolm