Re: Surplus Power Equipment?

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Winston,
The best arrangement is for the seller to set things up with the
shipper.  I've had lots of trouble getting FedEx Freight to pick things
up at a remote location, though can't speak for other shippers.

One thing you really really want to establish for sure is how the truck
is unloaded.  You may have to pay a substantial premium for "Inside
Delivery" or to have the unit delivered on a truck with a Tommy lift.  I
have vivid memories of 12 years ago, when I bought a new but very heavy
Minolta copier at a very good price from an outfit across the country.
 The seller arranged for the cheapest transport available.   The semi
pulled up in front of the office, and the driver stood there with his
arms folded while I and my office girls wrestled a 400# crate off the
back of a trailer 5 feet off the ground.  Photocopiers make a very
interesting crunch when they hit the pavement.  Minolta refused to look
at the unit, stating that if the frame was even slightly bent, it would
be useless.  When we bought the second unit, we paid an extra $90 for
inside delivery, and it became the driver's responsibility to get the
thing inside the office door.  Oh, well, live and learn.

Now, I have a friend who owns a factory with a forklift, so when
anything heavy comes my way, he accepts it and unloads it for me, then I
have to figure out how to wrestle it into my Dad's pickup.

You might be able to contract with a local delivery firm to pick up the
unit at the freight depot, and get it to your home.  You should
definitely get the outside diameter of the case in advance, and make a
snug fitting dolly out of 2 x 6's with heavy duty casters ready before
delivery so you can roll it around your shop when you get it home.  You
don't want to have to lift the monster very often.

HTH,
Dave