Re: T & R Electric--still viable Piglet supplier??

Excellent suggestion...

In California, you need two things: a State Board of Equalization Seller's
Permit (which has to do with collecting and paying sales tax) and the local
business license.

You'll have to file a business personal property tax return every year and
pay the approximately 1% tax on your business assets. Don't try to claim you
have no assets to tax.  They'll ask you about the pen you used to fill out
the form.. Hmm, personal property used in conducting the business, value $1,
etc.... just have a reasonable amount of "office" kind of stuff (half a case
of paper, a desk, a chair).. pay the buck or so taxes on the $100 worth of
stuff and be done with it.

Board of Equalization rules are mindbendingly complex, but, if you don't try
to buy things without sales tax, and don't sell anything that might be
taxable, then you'll just pay the base amount, which varies somewhat by
county.  Most "wholesale only" places in California that actually care about
such things just ask for your "resale number" as a means to establish your
bonafides.