Re: Designing BIG Secondary Coil

In a message dated 9/7/02 1:31:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> John,
> I'm minutes away from rearranging things in the basement to maximize the
> limited area, but with the current setup, measurement is easy since I rarely
> get free-air streamers and get rather "power arcs" to nearby fixed metallic
> objects--30"-40".

Dave,

I meant measurement of the maximum possible spark length.
If your sparks have the power to reach for example 60 inches,
but are hitting objects
at 40", then I don't see how you can measure the maximum
spark lengths.  If this is the case, then I don't see how you
can gauge the relative performances of various secondaries,
TC's, etc.?   Sometimes the sparks can be directed in a certain
direction (where there are no nearby objects), and the max
spark lengths can be measured that way.

John