Re: magnifier benefits & design

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> I was playing with pspice while using data from "magsim" (a.c.m.q. is the
> author) and managed by sheer luck to get the numbers close enough
> to see a performance increase.
>
> I placed a voltage marker at the tertiary output and also a voltage
> differential marker between the output of the secondary and the output of
> the tertiary.  The latter of the two to see how much the tertiary
> was adding.
>
> what i saw was promising, but I'm shooting in the dark here.  I understand
> the basic theory, but practical application is another story.
> I saw 180kv from a 15kv/60ma normal TC. (terry's design, thanks again.)
> After adding the tertiary, and playing with components, i saw an output
> of 237kv.  The difference between the secondary and tertiary coil was 80kv.

Something strange here. If you used the component values calculated by
the magsim program, you should see that when the output voltage is
maximum there is no voltage in the secondary of primary coils. If you
consider losses this changes a bit, but not much.

> The magsim helped me get the right associations of coil parameters, but
> I played with EVERYTHING to get those numbers. what stayed the same was the
> 15kv/60ma supply.  to achieve those numbers i changed c1 (im assuming this
> means the tank cap on the nst side), c2, c3, l1, l2, l3
> AND the pulse width of the srsg. sheer luck i achieved these numbers.
>
> my point being that if i can blindly pick numbers and see a 20+% increase in
> voltage output, what is the theoretical voltage increase from a magnifier?
> 35%? more?

With any configuration of coils and capacitors the limit in the voltage
gain is sqrt(C1/C3), the same limit in a conventional two-coils system
with C2 instead of C3. C1 is the primary capacitor and C3 (or C2) is
the  equivalent capacitance of the resonator coil and terminal.
What the magnifier can achieve is faster energy transfer, producing
somewhat larger voltage gain, ever below the limit, by reducing the time
that losses have to drain energy from the system. A two-coils system
needs high coupling coefficient to have fast energy transfer, and this
is difficult to obtain without insulation problems. In a magnifier, a
high coupling coefficient is needed too (actually, a bit higher), but
between the primary and secondary coils, where the voltage stresses are
smaller.
You can also obtain a slightly smaller self-capacitance in the third
coil, in relation to what would be obtained using it as the secondary
of a Tesla transformer (no primary coil around it). This increases the
gain limit a bit.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz