Re: Why no corona?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Rick

> Power transmission lines, before a substation, can carry from 100Kv to
more the
> 600Kv. So why no corona? Seems we battle corona quite a bit at much lower
> voltages. <shrugs>

Try walking under them at night and look at the insulator strings - I
have often seen the entire strings surrounded by corona.
On misty nights, they can hiss and pop quite alarmingly.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith           |  -- Tivis Project --
IT Consultant           | "Visitor & Community