Re: how do I work out transformer output

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

What do you have there? Is it a copier transformer, or
perhaps a bug-zapper transformer? Electrostatic air
cleaner? Anyhow, if it is current limited, you can
simply short out the HV side with an ammeter and read
the ma that way. It won't hurt the ammeter, as the
voltage will be shorted down to near zero volts. I
test NSTs and MOTs this way all the time. A multimeter
with an ammeter function is what I use.

Regards,

> Original poster: "Justin Wright by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <ellis_p-at-picknowl-dot-com.au>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a really small 9kv transformer.  It is
> a bit smaller than
> a 6 volt torch battery (10cm tall and 5cm square or
> 4"x2"x2").
>
> The only markings on it are 200v (in) and 9KV (out).
>

> How do I work out how much power this thing will put
> out so I can work
> out the capacitor size to use?
>

> regards
>

> Justin