RE: Big streamers in small basements

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Kurt,
Very interesting and yes, I've thought about a twin TC.

Regarding the insulating screens, could you describe them. My German is a
bit rusty.
Dave H

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Steve,

I strongly like to second your statement below! - The 200cm (6.6') twin
sparks under:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/movie1.htm

are produced with the outer rim of the toroids only 40cm (16") from the
wall. The upper tangent on the toroids is 93cm (36.6") below the
ceiling. However there is an insulating screen 71cm (28") above the
toroids, preventing arcs to the ceiling. As a better alternative to a
grounded wire mesh, against arcovers to the ceiling, those insulating
screens were recommended early (1939) by A.Bouwers. Details may be had
under:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/hv_screen.htm

Cheers,  Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

>To basement lab TCers,
>
>It's more work, but a twin TC in a basement works well.  Put breakout
points
>each facing the other toroid and the streamers arc between the toroids in a
>controlled way, and can be much longer than the distance from one toroid to
>ceiling or floor.  And as a bonus, each TC acts as a good RF "ground" or
>counterpoise for the other TC, allowing one to skimp on an RF ground.
Twins