Re: El Supremo

Hi Ken,
        A comment:

On 12 Sep 2002, at 11:40, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

> [...]
> dozens upon dozens have failed for me and none have failed for him.
>
> Terry's 1-turn-primary design is what I had had in mind in the first
> place, but my MOSFETs would not drive 1 turn and IGBTs back-then seemed
> too slow.  But now, I see a way to combine Terry's notion and mine.  I
> call it, perhaps with some want of humility, El Supremo.  With Terry's
> indulgence you can find its conceptual schematic at
> Http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tch2.gif.  See also the accompanying
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tch2drv.
>
> Referring to TCH2, all IGBT "1"s conduct during one half-cycle and then
> all "2"s conduct during the alternate half-cycle.  If you follow the
> current paths you will find that the four quadrants of capacitors become
> connected in a "daisy chain" around the primary loop in alternating
> polarities, thus establishing the requisite alternating magnetic field
> perpendicular to the image.
> Each set of IGBTs is driven by a crossover-controlling circuit like that
> of TCH2DRV.
>
> Note that, during each brief interval between half cycles when no IGBTs
> are conducting, the "inductive kick" of the primary loop will become
> clamped, regardless of its polarity, by the "fast diodes", as coupled via
> the loop capacitors.  No transistor will ever see any voltage greater
> than twice a capacitor voltage.
>
> Now here is where a major difference with my present design comes in:
>
> The fundamental difference between sstc's and spark-gap tc's is that the
> former generates its spark by application of a constant-amplitude burst
> of excitation whereas the latter generates an exponentially-diminishing
> amplitude of excitation.  This means that by far the greatest amount of
> instantaneous energy going into the spark is delivered, in a spark-gap
> system, during the first few cycles of excitation.  It does not escape
> notice that, given the same mains input-power, a spark-gap coil will
> produce significantly longer sparks than a sstc--even given the
> relatively large loss of power in the spark gap.  So, it is very likely
> to be concluded that what's wanted is to cram as much power as possible
> into those first few cycles.
>
> So what I propose with TCH2 is that the capacitances be markedly smaller
> that what I have in my present design.  In fact, they are to be small
> enough to give the desired rate of exponential decline in voltage during
> each spark event.  Note that the current in all the capacitors is
> unifirectional, not ac and that the primary is still untuned.  The
> capacitor voltages just decline during the spark event, they do not
> change polarity.  And since the IGBTs are to be driven from an external
> signal source, that source can either be tuned at will to match the
> secondary's Fr or it may readily be derived directly as a function of the
> secondary's return-current, as I do presently, to make the system
> instantaneously self-tuned to the secondary's Fr.

The decline in primary amplitude exhibited by a cap discharge system
is (as you must know) a side effect of the energy transfer. Probably
a desirable one since the low duty cycle of the machine prevents the
air from becoming continuously ionized as it does with a CW system.
This means that a substantial buildup of energy in the secondary
occurs before it lets go for each bang. A primary circuit that
decrements radically all by itself can't be much of a recipe for
success. I'm sure you know all this. Perhaps I've misinterpreted what
you are saying.

Regards,
Malcolm