Re: Primary Size - 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" ? ? ? ?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

Dan,

I suspect you will get many answers for this, many of which will vary. I have
used 1/4 for my 15/60 run coil, and am now using #12 solid, insulated on a
15/30 coil. It doesn't get the least bit warm. I'm running a SRSG and have a 2x
LTR cap. I'm currently working on a pole transformer powered coil, and will use
the original 1/4" primary. I would think that it could handle 3 to 5 kva, but
at those levels, you'd better believe I'm going to check to see if it's
heating! I think much of it depends on how many turns you are using. If you
have a coil with large cap and few turns, the peak amperage in the primary will
be high. I generally end up tapping at 15+ turns. some folks use just 4 or 5.
The latest coil I have built was modelled on the concept of John Freau's tt42
coil, which was here at my house a year ago. I am using a 15/30 though, and so
far have 28" arcs continuously to a grounded target. Still much to do to make
it more efficient. I am tapped at 20 turns. I would go mi! ddle of the road
with 3/8, personally, and design the coil so that the peak amps aren't off the
scale.

Just my thoughts

Chris W